the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

So, things are a little different

A little. But still tasty as all heck.

I went out to the stores this morning in the pouring rain, and all I wanted to do when I came home was cook a little and relax. I put some baked oatmeal in the oven, cooked up my rice for tonight, and set my chicken to marinate. Then I watched the Chronicles of Narnia, knitted, and took a little nap.

What a nice day, despite the rain.

Dinner tonight featured two completely unrated recipes from Cooking Light. It made me a little nervous, but I'm glad I took the risk because both dishes ended up being quite good. I marinated the chicken for a good 5 hours, and it came out nice and tender, with spicy and sweet flavors. It matched quite well with the papaya. The rice salad was a nice spin on beans and rice. The sweetness from the balsamic paired well with the chicken, I was tempted to lick the plate when I was done. But I didn't. I'm civilized sometimes.

Caribbean Chicken and Papaya Kebabs
Serves: 2
WW Points: 5 (1 point on Core, for the molasses)

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp molasses
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp salt
8 oz uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" chunks
1 medium papaya, peeled, seeded and cut into 1" chunks

Directions:
Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 to 8 hours. Remove chicken from bowl, reserving marinade.

Thread chicken and papaya alternately onto skewers. Prepare grill or broiler. Place kebabs on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 7 minutes on each side or until done, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.



I broiled these, as 1) it was raining like a you know what, still, and 2) I'm poor and don't own a grill of any sort (unless the Foreman counts). I'm pretty sure they would be even better on the grill.

Cuban Beans and Rice Salad
Serves: 3
WW Points: 4 (or Core!)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup diced avocado
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I used brown basmati)
1/2 cup plum tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp parsley
3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed

Directions:
Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, and toss gently. Add rice, next 3 ingredients (rice through beans), and cilantro, if desired; toss well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger The Mommy Chef said…

    I just stumbled upon your blog and love it.It is cold and rainy here too! Love these food ideas! Thanks .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home