the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

more core goodness!

Okay, so I'm in love with this whole core thing. I'm almost two weeks in, and I've gotten comments on how much healthier I look. I feel healthier, too. I'm putting emphasis on getting in my two dairy and two healthy oil servings a day, something I was definitely lacking.

Tonight for dinner, I made a recipe that I found on epicurious, polenta tamale pie. Needed some alterations to make it semi-tarian and core, but I think it would be great with ground turkey instead of the gimme lean. Next time I might even make my own polenta for it, but it's a super quick (you can even put it together the night before, cover, and refrigerate) and easy meal.



Polenta Tamale Pie
Serves: 4
WW Points: 5 (or core!)

Ingredients:
8oz. gimme lean ground beef style
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 cup thick salsa (I used hot, but go with your taste)
1 cup fat free refried beans
2/3 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 lb. roll polenta, sliced 1/3" thick (I used sun dried tomato flavor)
3 cups shredded fat free cheddar cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Crumble gimme lean into a medium saucepan coated with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat. Cook 1 - 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Add chili powder and cumin, cook 1 more minute. Add salsa, beans and broth. Simmer until mixture thickens, about 10 - 15 minutes. Stir in half of the cliantro, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spray 8x8" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer half of the polenta slices in dish. Top with sauce and half of the shredded cheese. Top with remaning polenta, cheese, and cilantro.
Bake uncovered, in preheated oven, 30 - 35 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is heated through and bubbling. If baking from refrigerated state, cook covered for 20 minutes, then uncover and cook 30 minutes longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home