the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Impossibly easy?

Okay, I admit it. I've never even heard of an "impossibly easy pie" before about a month ago. I've never even bought Bisquick. My mother never used it, and this sort of casserole was strangely missing in my youth. Which kind of makes me sad, because this was tasty, easy dinner.

I was enticed by the claims of "ooh! it magically bakes it's own crust!"

And it does. I didn't keep a close watch on the oven, so there might have been some magic involved, but I was busy with other things at the time. But there is a crust, I can assure you that.

For a short on time dinner (I was pretty short on time on Saturday night, after a day of planning my trip to NYC for next weekend, and futzing about all day, dinner didn't even get started until after 8), I'll have to keep this kind of pie in mind.

I lightened up a recipie I found on the Betty Crocker website. But go ahead and use the full fat versions if you're so inclined.

Impossibly Easy Southwestern Pie
Serves: 6
WW Points: 3

1 1/2 cups canned yellow corn, drained (about 1 can)
8 scallions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1 can)
1 1/2 oz. Cabot 75% light cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Heartsmart Bisquick
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/2 cup salsa (I used Santa Barbara Habanero & Lime)

Preheat oven to 400F. Coat a 9" round or square baking pan with cooking spray. Layer corn, onions, and beans in pan. Sprinkle with cheese.
Stir Bisquick, milk, salsa and egg substitute until blended. Pour into pan.
Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with additional salsa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home