the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Out with the old

New year, new year. Happy? We'll see about that. New years always makes me sad. I know it's all about starting fresh and second chances and new possibilities, but i always tend to look at the old. The things that are ending, the things I wont get back. Let's face it, I just don't deal with change all that well. But there might be changes for the better in the new year. I'm at least hoping for some.

"Let it do what it do," as a good friend told me.

On New Years day, some of my family got together for an extra little Christmas, as not everyone was in town and there were still presents to be opened. It was really a nice time, even if I was a little edgy and hitting the box of wine (I haven't had boxed wine in so long, it still amuses the daylights out of me) a little too hard.

But regardless, we opened presents and talked and I played with my almost four year old cousin, which cheered me up some. It's amazing how big and smart and even more adorable he's getting. We had mostly a purchased lunch/dinner of sandwiches and wings and vegetables, but I made these really cute mini muffins to go with our desserts (which included cheesecake and some peanut butter pie thing that I wouldn't let myself eat, so I'm glad I made the muffins). Mini muffins are so adorable. I'm more a fan of big, bulging muffins, but it makes me giddy to pop these cute little suckers out of their tins.

I found this recipe in last month's (I think) Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I don't generally like applesauce in my baked goods, but I'll at least try it when the recipe actually calls for it and it's not just a random substitution. I think they came out pretty darn well.



Dark Chocolate Mini Muffins
Yields: 41 (recipe said 48, but I didn't get quite that many)
WW Points: 1 point for 1, 2 points for 2, 2.5 points for 3 (best bargain!)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup fat-free skim milk
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp molasses
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat about 48 mini muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray, set aside. In a bowl combine flours, sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside. In another bowl combine milk, applesauce, oil, molasses, vinegar, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened (batter should be lumpy). Stir in half the chocolate pieces.

2. spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each mini pan up to about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate pieces. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm. Or cook completely; wrap tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat to serve.

If you don't have enough muffin cups, bake in batches. Cover and refrigerate muffin batter no longer than 30 minutes. Wash and prepare pan between batches.

I really like the sweetness of the two sugars and the balsamic vinegar in these muffins. Definitely makes for a dark chocolate taste. And they're so cute!

I'll be back with other new yearsish recipes soon, I made a really tasty dinner on Saturday night. But that's for another day!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    This recipe looks good. I will have to try it out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home