the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Leftovers (of leftovers)

So on Saturday I decided it was time to finish up the leftover turkey I had stashed in my fridge from Thanksgiving-ish time. I only had a good sized chunk of white meat left, and some Italian bread that my sister gave me at Christmas.. so.. what?

A turkey bread pudding, of course!

This tastes like a big hunk of the holidays, with the creamy stuffing and turkey and veggies. Next time, I may try this topped with cranberry sauce. I'm fairly positive there will be a next time. I adapted the recipe from Cooking Light, mainly just replacing the eggs with egg beaters and leaving out the dry mustard, as one of my dinner mates despises any kind of mustard and can taste even the slightest hint of it.

I didn't get a picture when it was fresh out of the oven, so I snapped a photo after I reheated the leftover slice for dinner tonight. It got a little too toasty, but just as tasty as a few days ago. And a little sauteed asparagus with fresh ground pepper on the side.



Turkey-Mushroom Bread Pudding
Serves: 4
WW Points: 4

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 minced garlic cloves
4 oz cooked skinless light meat turkey, shredded
1/3 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 cup egg substitute
4 oz Italian bread, cut in 1" chunks
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, onion, thyme, and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in turkey, salt, and black pepper. Remove mixture from heat, and cool slightly.

Combine milk, red pepper, and egg substitute in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in mushroom mixture and bread; toss well. Spoon into an 8 x 8-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

And that's it for the leftovers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home