the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

I eat breakfast all the time

I love breakfast so much, that some days I'll eat it for all three meals. Yesterday, I kind of did that (if you count the english muffin pizza I made for lunch).

For dinner, I made a really easy and incredibly tasty breakfast casserole. And the recipe actually called for vegetarian meat! I suppose you could make it even lighter by using all egg substitute, but after not eating regular eggs for so long, I forgot that the texture isn't supposed to be... rubbery. I wasn't able to get Gimme Lean Sausage, so I opted for the ground beef. I don't think it made much of a difference, but I would like to try this recipe again when the grocery store has what I need.



Savory Breakfast Casserole
Serves: 3
WW Points: 6

Ingredients:
1 cup 2% milk
2oz. Cabot 75% Light Cheddar Cheese, shredded, divided
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 egg whites
2 whole eggs
7oz. Gimme Lean Sausage Style (or ground beef, whatever!), crumbled
2 1/2 slices reduced calorie wheat bread, cubed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine the milk, 1/2 of the cheddar cheese, scallions, dry mustard, salt, pepper, egg whites and eggs, stirring with a whisk.

Spread bread cubes and crumbled meat substitute on the bottom of a 8x8" square pan or 8x5" loaf pan, coated with cooking spray. Top with egg mixture, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Cover pan with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.


Tasty!
I haven't been cooking as much lately, I strugged with some vegetarian enchiladas last weekend that weren't very spectacular looking (but tasted just fine!). I did get a new kitchen table yesterday, and reorganized things so I can be a little more spread out when I'm cooking, so perhaps that was just the motivation I needed :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home