the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Testing...

So I'm making my soup tomorrow. Tonight, I decided to try out a lasagna recipe. See, I'm on a quest for a good lasagna to make for Christmas. I'm not sure what I want to make yet, so I bought a big box of lasagna noodles, and went to town.

My first attempt is Broccoli Lasagna Bianca. I originally found the recipe in one of my Mother's cookbooks, some kind of brand name vegetarian book. I really like tomato sauce in my lasagna, but I figured it was worth a try.



Broccoli Lasagna Bianca
Serves 4 (I halved the recipe)
WW Points: 5

Ingredients:
1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/2 Tbsp basil (fresh or dried, i used dried)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp margarine
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup skim milk
10 oz frozen chopped broccoli
1/2 cup shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
4 1/2 lasagna noodles, cooked
1/2 small tomato, chopped
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
In medium bowl, combine ricotta, egg substitute, and basil; set aside. In large saucepan, over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in margarine until tender-crisp. Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Remove from heat; stir in broccoli and mozzarella cheese.

In lightly greasted 8 x 8" baking dish, place 2 lasagna noodles; top with 1/2 each ricotta and broccoli mixtures. Repeat layers 1 more time. Top with tomato; sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil leaves.



I was pretty worried about this one. There was a lot of egg substitute, and the ricotta mixture was very liquidy. However, it firmed up nicely in the oven and didn't have an overwhelming egg taste. I baked it covered for the first 45 minutes, so nothing would get burnt around the edges. The only thing this recipe needs is salt and pepper. There was none in the original recipe, so I added some to the broccoli sauce. Next time, some crushed red pepper might be nice, too.

I had an out and about kind of day, stopping at Target for some baking supplies (cookiethon next weekend!) and random Christmas gifts and supplies. I also had my picture taken with my sister, as my mother wanted a nice picture of the two of us, and we decided to get one done as part of our Christmas present to her. It was a beautiful day, a nice change after all the snow yesterday, so we went out to Congress Park. Here's a copy of the picture we chose to get enlarged, I think it's a nice one.



Of course, the print looks much better. Not having a scanner, this is just a picture of a picture. My sister makes me look like a beanstalk. Getting this blown up to an 8 x 10" is kind of frightening.

So, tomorrow will be tires, soup, and gingerbread day. My mother promised me gingerbread muffins, as a consolation for having my visit my fresh out of surgery father two days in a row. I love my Dad though, so it's not a chore. And there will be gingerbread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home