the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

if my stomach explodes, at least i'll die happy

Oh goodness, turkey noodle soup. How comforting, and how freaking easy. Chop a few vegetables, open a few cans, defrost the turkey in the fridge overnight. Voila! Turkey soup!



The recipe, as it often does, comes from Cooking Light.

Turkey Noodle Soup
Serves 4 (very generously)
WW Points: 4

Ingredients:
1 cup sliced carrot
3/4 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup sliced celery
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3 oz. uncooked wheat blend egg noodles
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 bay leaf
2 cups shredded turkey (about 8 ounces)
coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

Directions:
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add carrot, onion, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add celery, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and next 3 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add shredded turkey; cook 3 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.

While mincing the garlic, I started to worry it was too much. This is definitely garlicy, but not in a bad way. I love the simplicity of it, prep time included and I was eating in just about an hour.

I'm about to settle down for the night and watch the Survivor finale while wrapping some presents. I'm planning on finishing my shopping next weekend, I only have a few presents left to get (good thing, I'm going completely broke). But Tuesday is office party day at The Century House, and there will be lots of drinking (no drinky for me until after my next set of bloodwork), eating, and bonuses. I can't remember how much I got last year, but it was a good amount, and I had only been there for about two months. Now it's been a year longer, perhaps I'll get more (even though I just lost a reasonably good sized sale. oops.)

Alas, football has pushed back my tv watching. Maybe it's a sign that I should be washing my dishes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home