the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Pesto Plum Tomato Pizza

I like pizza. A whole lot. However, I don't eat it very often. You know why?

Because pizza is greasy. Now, I have absolutely no problem with grease. I've been told that it's its own food group, and an important one at that. And while there's a time, sometimes, where nothing is more satisfying than biting into a big slice of pizza that leaves your lips shiny with grease.. there's one thing that will never agree with me on that. My stomach.

Case in point: On the last Friday of every month, my work will buy us lunch. It usually consists of sandwiches and salads from a local deli. And they get pizza. I usually order a salad, but this last month, I decided on a sandwich. I picked carefully, and decided on barbecue chicken on wheat bread with lettuce, tomato, and onion. Nothing special, nothing difficult. Maybe it was too easy, because the deli forgot to make my sandwich. I was offered half after half of everyone's sandwich, but not wanting to take anyone's food away from them, I figured I'd have a slice of pizza. It looked really good. Cheese with big chunks of fresh portobello. And it tasted really good. A nice, thick layer of cheese, easy on the sauce, medium thick crust. I enjoyed it, until an hour later when I thought I was going to die. My stomach was doing somersaults, and I still had a good two hours of work left. That's when I was informed that grease is its own food group, and that I was showing signs of deficiency. That could possibly be correct. But anyway, when I want pizza, I have to make it myself.

Out of laziness, I went with a pre-baked crust. A whole wheat boboli crust, to be exact. And here's what I made:

Plum Tomato Pesto Pizza
Servings: 4
WW Points: 6

Ingredients:
1 Boboli whole wheat thin pizza crust
2 Tbsp. basil pesto
3/4 lb. plum tomatoes, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450°.

Place crust on a large baking sheet. Spread pesto sauce over crust, and arrange tomato and garlic slices over crust. Top with cheeses, and sprinkle with pepper. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with basil. Cut into 8 slices.

Yield: 2 slices per serving


With a salad on the side, I was pretty satisfied. I used store brand pesto, which isn't the greatest, but there's not much on the pizza so it just added a little aftertaste of pesto when biting through the tomatoes.

Pizza. Comforting after a day of blood work and Christmas shopping.

Tomorrow I'm doing some Thanksgiving food shopping. I'm not cooking a whole meal, just two side dishes, a pie, and maybe some cookies depending on what time allows. I can't wait to get my hands on those parsnips and turnips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home