the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Friday, November 25, 2005

No Turkey!

Yeah, another Thanksgiving's come and gone. I've never been big on Thanksgiving. Well, there's two things I like about it: eating, and looking at the Black Friday ads.

So that's what I did. I ate and got me a newspaper.

Thanksgiving was at my aunt and uncle's house. I had planned on a low-key day with my mom and dad, but it turned out that my uncle wanted everyone together for the holiday. My Nannie passed away in the spring, he's been really big on togetherness since then. I think he was right, though. As much as my family drives me bonkers, I like being around them.

So I was going to cook for my parents, but since we were going elsewhere, I decided on bringing some healthy sides and a healthy dessert. It's expected of me, the healthy.

There were thirteen of us, and two dogs. We had a pretty decent bunch of food, a lot less than we usually do, but still a table full. Dinner consisted of turkey (I don't really know what it was cooked with, and didn't eat any. I like turkey, but I wasn't in the mood. Blasphemy? Maybe!), roasted pheasant stuffed with citrus (didn't have this either, although there's leftovers and I'm intrigued), stuffing (from the bird and oven baked, thank goodness), mashed potatoes, mashed turnips (mm!), green bean casserole (it's a tradition. what an ugly dish, but it's a tradition), boiled onions and brussel sprouts (oh man, the sprouts were heavenly), sauerkraut and kielbasa (another tradition, and a way nasty one at that), sweet potatoes, honey roasted root vegetables (made by me!), eggplant with savory cheese stuffing (also made by me!), eggplant parmesan (my mom's), and an assortment of rolls and bread. Wow. That's a lot more food than I realized.

My aunt loves to bake. So as always, the dessert table was jam packed. There was apple pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, ice cream salad, fruit salad, and homemade toasted coconut marshmallows (from the barefoot contessa, yay!). And... also my maple pumpkin pie.

The only thing I have a picture of is the maple pumpkin pie. It's a Calorie Commando (marry me) recipe, which can be found here. To be honest, the crust was more trouble than it was worth, and if I make this again, I may make it a crustless pie. The crust is my least favorite part of pie, and I always eat it backwards to get that part out of the way first. Same deal with pizza. But the filling was delicious, and a whole four pieces were eaten, while none were taken from the full fatty pumpkin pie that was also on the table. None!

Here's what it looked like, fresh out of the oven



I had another piece a few hours ago. Now there's one piece left, and I bet it's gonna go soon.

I wish I had taken a picture of the stuffed eggplant. This was a gorgeous recipe, one that I've been looking at on the Cooking Light website for ages and wanting to make. I made a total of six halves and took three with me to dinner, saving the other three for myself because I am a greedy, greedy woman. I sliced each half into about six slices, and it was devoured!

Also quickly devoured were the honey roasted root vegetables. Sweet potato, parsnips, turnip, carrots, and shallots mixed with clover honey, olive oil, and salt. Roasted in the oven at a high temperature (I had to take the battery out of the smoke detector. Oops!). They tasted so, so sweet. And good god almighty, I love parsnips.

So Thanksgiving was good, family was good, the ads in the newspaper were good. Getting six inches of snow kind of sucked and I'm sick of winter already, but what can you do.

I woke up late-ish this morning (around 9:30, way late for me), had some breakfast, and hit a few stores with my mom. I actually wasn't prepared for more Christmas shopping, so I only bought two presents and some cards to send out. Every little bit helps, and next weekend I'm down to Jersey for some outlet shopping (and Ikea! Ikea Ikea!), so I should get a bunch done then.

My work gave me a free 20lb. turkey, and I handed that off to my mother. She's cooking it tomorrow, and I will get leftovers. I started feeling a little regretful about not eating any turkey, so I'll grab a chunk of white meat and run.

Now it's time to look at Christmas cookie recipes. I may hate snow, but I love the holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home