the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Goodbye, Leftovers

It was eat it or dump it night in my apartment. I couldn't bear seeing my last stuffed eggplant half go out with the trash tonight, so I heated that up, cooked up some brown rice, and made a little salad.

Okay, so the eggplant was a little past its prime. Everything was a little more.. moist than on turkey day. But it was still absolutely delicious, this recipe is definitely a keeper.



My recipe doesn't differ much from the original on Cooking Light, but I'll go ahead and post anyway.

Baked Eggplant with Savory Cheese Stuffing
Serves: 6
WW Points: 2

Ingredients:
2 slices reduced-calorie wheat bread
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
2 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 3/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1 1/2 cup seeded, chopped plum tomato
1/3 tsp dried Italian seasoning
3 minced garlic cloves
4 1/2 oz. crumbled fat free feta cheese
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp salt
1/3 tsp black pepper
3 medium eggplants, 1 lb. each, halved lengthwise

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°.

Score cut side of each eggplant half by making 4 crosswise cuts. Place the eggplant halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; cool on pan 10 minutes. Carefully remove pulp, leaving a 1/3-inch-thick shell; reserve eggplant shells. Chop pulp.

Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 3/4 cup. Drizzle the breadcrumbs with olive oil, and pulse to combine.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped eggplant, bell pepper, tomato, Italian seasoning, and garlic; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, parsley, salt, and black pepper. Stuff each eggplant shell with about 1/2 cup onion mixture; sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and lightly browned.

I was a little worried that my family would spot the fat free feta and call me out on it, but President makes a great block style fat free feta that crumbles up nicely and tastes wonderful. They also have some nice flavored fat free feta crumbles. Basil and tomato in an omelet? Oh yes.

Anyway, a little while later, I heard a small voice coming from the fridge.

"Hey, you forgot about me!"

"Forgot about who?" I replied.

"Me!"

I opened up the fridge, and sitting there on the bottom shelf - the lonliest piece of pumpkin pie.



To be honest, it did look very lonely.

"Don't worry," I cooed, "I wouldn't forget about you. Come here, and I'll make it all better."



And I ate that sucker with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. While wearing my PJs.

Okay, no, I ate it with some Edy's Slow Churned Light No Sugar Added Neopolitan ice cream. If I was inclined to call things "the bomb", I would definitely be breaking the phrase out right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home