the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Elle-an Can Cook Tofu!

I love tofu. Yes, I love tofu a lot. I have a favorite Vietnamese restaurant in Albany, and man, can they cook tofu. The seared tofu steak is amazing, as is the tofu curry. However, I did not go to Vans tonight. No, I had a chunk of tofu in my fridge.

I always buy tofu and have great expectations for it. I've tried barbecue tofu, I've tried honey baked tofu, I've tried five spice tofu burritos. They all have one thing in common - disaster. After each disaster, I always admit defeat and swear to only stick to being spoiled by the people who know how to cook it correctly. But always, after a couple of months, I decide to try again. This past weekend, I bought a chunk of light extra-firm tofu at my local Price Chopper. As I was checking out, the kid bagging my groceries said, "Hey, I didn't know they made light tofu." I laughed and said something dorky along the lines of, "Hey, they sure do!" But then he said it again, this time to the cashier, "Hey, I didn't know they made light tofu!" The cashier ignored him. So he said it again. I was ready to say, "Yeah, I bet there's a lot of things you don't know, which is why you're bagging my groceries," but instead I just laughed nervously and turned away from him.

Anyway, I made it home with my light tofu (hey, did you know they make light tofu?), and decided I should just start with a simple stir fry (or something like a stir fry, considering the fact that I cook with minimum amounts of oil). Very simple. I started with a teaspoon of oil, almost a teaspoon of ground ginger, and a small onion. After cooking that for five minutes, I added in two cups of sliced zucchini, my light tofu (!), a tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce and a tablespoon of water. I mixed it very, very gently (my main problem is that my tofu usually falls apart and becomes mush) and let the zucchini cook up. And you know what, it was good. It was very good! My tofu did not fall apart, it was spicy and salty and.. my tofu did not fall apart!



Okay, so it may not look like the most delicious dinner ever, but I strongly believe in the appearances are decieving thing. Now I have another half-chunk of tofu in my fridge, and I'll be back to report my breaded breast of tofu dinner on Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home