the food bitch

people call me a food bitch. not because of any gourmet tendencies (i go on a weekly fridge-sniff to see what needs to be thrown away), but due to my healthy lifestyle know-how and big mouth. i have a big mouth when it comes to food.

part healthy living, part recipe showcase, part food review - i do a little bit of everything.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

apples, pears, and raspberries! (and pumpkins!)

Today was a fruity day.

Today was a lazy day. A lazy and fruity day.

Why I took an hour and a half nap after doing absolutely nothing is beyond me. But when I woke up, I had to leave the house.

So I went and got myself a pumpkin, and a few groceries for dinner.

I haven't carved a pumpkin in years. Honestly, I've never really carved a pumpkin. I was so bad at it as a child, that I ended up throwing in the towel, and my Mom bought me a nice set of poster paints. I could barely even do that right.

But you know what, I wanted to carve me a pumpkin. And I did, more or less. It's actually outside right now, and it I wasn't pretty cold, I'd go grab a picture. But I'm cold, and stepping outside might kill me. It probably wouldn't, but you never know.

I carved a bat into it. A bat that's missing a chunk of ear. I was able to slip the little bit of ear back in there, and you'd never even know that it's disconnected. Let's just hope a small animal doesn't carry it off in the middle of the night.

After carving a pumpkin for an hour and a half, I was pretty hungry. So I got up off of my kitchen floor, and started on dinner. On the menu tonight was Caramelized Onion Chicken and Apple Pear Slaw.

Caramelized Onion Chicken
Servings: 2
WW Points: 3

8oz uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup sliced onions
1/4 cup Smuckers sugar free red raspberry preserves
1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp peeled, minced ginger root
1/4 tsp dried rosemary

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove onion and chicken from pan.

Add jam and remaining ingredients to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return chicken mixture to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.



This was absolutely delicious. It was quick and easy, and I made barely any mess (which is incredible - I am the world's most messy cook). The original recipe called for regular raspberry preserves, and that would have made for a stickier, sweeter sauce, but I think the sugar free preserves did the job. The ginger and rosemary made it smell amazing. This is definitely something I'm making again, and soon.


Apple and Pear Slaw
Sevings: 3
WW Points: 1

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp poppy seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 cups thinly sliced apple
1 cups thinly sliced pear
1/2 (12oz) package cabbage and carrot coleslaw

Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

Combine apple, pear, and coleslaw in a large bowl; stir in dressing. Chill up to 2 hours.



My slaw, on the other hand, not so good. The regular coleslaw mix that I found was looking not so hot, so I picked up a bag of rainbow slaw. This was probably a good move on my part, because at least the mix of veggies added some flavor. The vinegar marinade was.. very vinegary, but not much else.

Hey, but my roasted potatoes were good!

I thoroughly realize that I need better lighting in my kitchen. Just looking around, I realize that my kitched does actually look yellow. The sun was actually out today, and my kitchen looked, you know, white. It kind of messed with my eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home